This is a delicious summer dessert. My husband loves any fruit, but especially the category of desserts that blends fruit with cream cheese or whipped cream. These are variously called fruit salad, ambrosia, or floof. Some recipes are called things like Five Cup Salad or Six Cup Salad (as in, use one cup each of these five or six ingredients). This version uses the fresh strawberries you see everywhere this time of year and a can of pineapple.
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 20 oz can pineapple tidbits, drained (it’s ok if you don’t get every last drop of juice drained)
- 1 lb (the size of those containers in the produce section) strawberries, rinsed and chopped
- 2 or 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 8 oz tub of Cool Whip
- Mix cream cheese and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in pineapple.
- Stir in strawberries.
- Stir in 2 cups marshmallows. If a lot of pineapple juice ended up in the bowl and it seems extra wet, you may need to stir in a third cup of marshmallows. Or you may just prefer more.
- Gently fold in the Cool Whip (folding is a super gentle kind of stirring where you don’t want to overmix delicate ingredients).
- Either transfer to an airtight container or just put foil or plastic wrap on your bowl and pop it into the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.